How to Avoid Jail Time with Multiple DWIs?
1 year ago by Brian
Being arrested in Minnesota for driving while intoxicated (DWI) is a serious matter, as you face life-changing penalties and fines if convicted.
When you get arrested for a second time – or more – for DWI, the consequences are increased for each subsequent arrest and conviction. One question we often hear at JS Defense is how can one avoid jail time with multiple DWIs?
This article provides some information about this question, but it is always a good idea to talk to an experienced Woodbury DWI lawyer who can give you advice that is specific to your individual situation.
Minnesota Penalties for Multiple DWI Convictions
Anyone convicted of DWI faces both criminal and administrative penalties. The possible penalties vary based on several factors, and the following is what you can generally expect from multiple DWI convictions:
- Second DWI offense, the person faces one year in jail and/or a $3,000 fine, a special number plate that identifies the person as having been convicted of DWI (known as “whisky plates”), revocation of their license, and possibly more administrative penalties.
- Third offense of DWI, the convicted person faces one year in jail and/or a $3,000 fine, forfeiture of the automobile involved in the incident, whisky plates, license revocation, and possibly additional administrative penalties that are more severe than those meted out for a second offense.
- Fourth (or multiple) offenses, DWI is a felony charge for which the convicted person faces seven years in prison and/or a $14,000 fine, forfeiture of their automobile involved in the incident, whisky plates, cancellation of license, and more.
The range of administrative penalties a convicted person faces varies according to each individual facts and circumstances.
These, include forfeiture of vehicles involved in the DWI incident, increasingly longer loss of driving privileges, being required to install ignition interlock devices, confiscating license plates, and other penalties.
What a DWI Attorney Can Do for You
Although the law is clear as to what the penalties are for multiple DWI convictions, a person facing multiple DWI charges can seek the services of an experienced DWI lawyer who can help them find defense options to avoid some or all these penalties.
Some of the options a Woodbury DWI Lawyer might pursue to avoid corresponding consequences include:
- Having evidence the government is attempting to use against them thrown out of court. For example, an experienced lawyer can have the state’s test results thrown out if certain procedures were not followed in collecting and carrying out the test. An experienced attorney can also have evidence suppressed in the case if officers violated your constitutional rights.
- Possibly avoid the mandatory prison time by agreeing to get into the ignition interlock program.
- Presenting other defenses to the current DWI charge at trial.
Speak with a Woodbury, MN DWI Lawyer Right Away
If you’ve been charged for a second or more DWIs in Minnesota please contact our Woodbury, MN DWI Lawyer today for a free consultation at JS Defense, we help clients with previous DWI convictions. Call: 651-362-9426