Criminal Defense and Dedicated DWI Attorney Serving Clients in Eagan
Being stopped by the police for any reason can be frightening. But, if you are driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, the immediate consequences of a DWI arrest can be serious and life-altering.
That’s why one of the first calls you should make is to an experienced DWI defense attorney who can help you make the best decisions for your situation right away. Even if you have already been charged, you should still contact an attorney as soon as possible to represent you and preserve your legal rights during the process
What to Expect After a DWI
It is extremely important for you to have a lawyer represent you as soon as possible after you are stopped. Your lawyer will be there with you throughout the entire process and advise you on decisions along the way.
After you are charged, the State will try to revoke your driver’s license. An experienced attorney will try to help you keep your privileges so you can drive to work or take your children to school. I will work to minimize the consequences a DWI has on your life. I will hold the police and the prosecutor to a high standard and to challenge the evidence the State has against you, sometimes resulting in getting the case dismissed by the Judge
Here is a summary of what else to expect after being arrested:
- You can have anywhere from 2 to 5 court appearances, depending upon the facts of your case and the charges being brought.
- Your blood alcohol level (BAC), as measured at the time you were stopped, will determine the way the State will proceed in your case. The higher your BAC level is, the more vigorously the State will prosecute your case.
- If you had a child in your car at the time you were stopped, your case will be more serious.
- If you refuse to have your BAC test at the station, do not follow instructions when blowing or you tamper with the machine that measures it, you will be charged with a more serious offense.
- If you have had prior DWIs or have other related or unrelated criminal convictions in the past, these may also affect your case and the consequences you may face.
You Need an Experienced Eagan Attorney to Fight Your DWI Charges
Call me for help as soon as possible after being arrested. As a skilled criminal and DWI lawyer, I will develop a personalized plan of action to fight for you. Contact me at 651-504-2564 to arrange a free, confidential consultation about your Eagan DWI case.