Long-Term Effects of a Criminal Conviction
2 years ago by Brian
Criminal convictions can have serious long-term impacts on a person’s life. An experienced Woodbury criminal defense lawyer will work to minimize those consequences and work towards attaining the best possible result for you in your criminal case.
In order for you to be found guilty and convicted of a criminal offense in the State of Minnesota, the state prosecutor who is assigned to your case bears the burden of proof. Specifically, the prosecutor must satisfy all of the legal elements of the underlying criminal offense beyond a reasonable doubt. If the prosecutor is able to satisfy this high legal burden at trial and you are convicted, you will likely face very serious consequences.
In addition to harsh penalties, including fines, jail time, and community service, a criminal conviction can serve as a black mark on your permanent record. For example, a criminal conviction can make it difficult for you to get a job, go to school, or find a place to live. This is because criminal convictions will show up as part of an online background check.
The most important way to avoid the potential black mark of a conviction on your record is to avoid a conviction in the first place. The Woodbury criminal defense lawyers at JS Defense, PA., will work to help you avoid a conviction in your criminal case. If you are ultimately found guilty and convicted of the underlying offense, your lawyer will do everything possible to help you minimize the impact of that conviction. Please give us a call today to learn more about how we could assist you with defending against your criminal charge.
Potential Consequences of a Criminal Conviction
Criminal convictions can result in extremely serious consequences, including the following:
- Serious penalties, depending upon the underlying offense, which may include harsh monetary fines, jail time (more than one year for felony convictions), community service, and/or probation
- A criminal record which, when viewed by prospective employers and others, could result in your being denied employment or school admission
- Difficulty finding a place to live since some apartments do not allow individuals with violent felony convictions to live on the premises
- Mandatory sex offender reporting on a state or federal sex offender registry
An experienced criminal defense lawyer could help you avoid these consequences in the following ways, among others:
- By formulating a strong legal defense to assert at trial, in hopes of obtaining a not-guilty verdict on your behalf
- By negotiating a favorable plea deal with the prosecuting attorney, resulting in a reduced charge or a less-serious penalty upon conviction
- By helping you get your criminal conviction record expunged if you are eligible to do so
These are only some examples of how the right attorney can work to improve the outcome of your case.
Speak with a Woodbury Criminal Defense Lawyer about Your Legal Matter Today
The experienced legal team at JS Defense, PA., will work to help you avoid the potentially serious consequences that are associated with a criminal conviction. For a free case evaluation and legal consultation with an experienced Woodbury criminal defense attorney, please call us today at (651) 968-9652 or contact us online for more information.